Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2012-12-18 20:52:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 04:06 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Having some way to nail down if the same block is bad on a
> given standby seems like a useful interface we should offer, and it
> shouldn't take too much work. Ideally you won't find the same
> corruption there. I'd like a way to check the entirety of a standby for
> checksum issues, ideally run right after it becomes current. It seems
> the most likely way to see corruption on one of those is to replicate a
> corrupt block.

Part of the design is that pg_basebackup would verify checksums during
replication, so we should not replicate corrupt blocks (of course,
that's not implemented yet, so it's still a concern for now).

And we can also have ways to do background/offline checksum verification
with a separate utility.

Regards,
Jeff Davis