Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date: 2012-11-27 04:32:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 13:14 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I would normally agree with this analysis, but pg_ctl -w certainly
> need this ping functionality, so it kind of makes sense that others
> might need it too.

Sure, PQping is useful for this very specific use case of seeing whether
the server has finished starting up. If someone came with a plausible
use case for a startup script that couldn't use pg_ctl but wanted ping
functionality available in a shell script, then pg_ping could be
provided. But that would also determine what options to provide. For
example, we might not need repeated ping in that case.

But I think people see PQping and will see pg_ping as a monitoring
facility, and I think that's a mistake.