Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE
Date: 2012-05-23 19:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2012-05-22 at 18:00 +0200, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> CREATE SCHEMA foo LC_COLLATE bar isn't supported so you went up a
> level and do it by creating a database.
>
> I would like to get default collation per schema / table in 9.2 or 9.3
> but that is my personal wish,

Another way I've been thinking about is to have a session collation.
Then you don't have to decide about it when the tables are created, but
the application or user interface can decide it at run time without
having to hardcode it into all the queries.

This would effectively take the place of being able to say SET
lc_collate at run time.