Re: type money causes unrestorable dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: type money causes unrestorable dump
Date: 2007-11-03 18:39:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> I never received a response on this. Here is the full diff with the
> above change. Since it is documentation and not code, is it OK to
> commit this now?

The added text needs some copy-editing, I think. How about

Since the output of this data type is locale-sensitive, it may not
work to load <type>money</> data into a database that has a different
setting of <varname>lc_monetary</>. To avoid problems, before
restoring a dump make sure <varname>lc_monetary</> has the same value
as in the database that was dumped.

(Actually, the first of the two lc_monetary references should be
an xref link to the GUC variable, but I'm too lazy to type that out.)

A more direct approach to the problem might be to change pg_dump to
set lc_monetary, as it does for client_encoding ...