Re: gcc 4.6 and hot standby

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gcc 4.6 and hot standby
Date: 2011-06-08 18:49:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So I've been delaying moving some production boxes over to 9.0.4 from
> 2011-06-08 11:41:03 MDT [6078]: [1-1] user= FATAL: terminating
> walreceiver process due to administrator command
> [ repeats... ]

> I suppose the next step is to narrow it down to a specific flag -O2
> uses... But I thought I would post here first-- maybe someone else has
> hit this? Or maybe someone has a bright idea on how to narrow this
> down?

Maybe using a "prerelease" gcc version isn't such a hot idea for
production. It's very, very, very difficult to see how the behavior you
describe isn't a compiler bug. (Well, I could also believe that
something external is repeatedly hitting the walreceiver with a SIGTERM,
but it's hard to square that with the behavior changing when you
recompile with different -O levels ...)

It might be useful to strace the postmaster and walreceiver processes
just to see if any signal is actually being sent or received.