Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Date: 2011-10-07 03:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 23:26 +0400, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Hi, Jeff!
>

> Heikki has recently commited my patch about picksplit for GiST on
> points and boxes:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=7f3bd86843e5aad84585a57d3f6b80db3c609916
> I would like to try this picksplit method on ranges. I believe that it
> might be much more efficient on highly overlapping ranges than current
> picksplit. Range types patch isn't commited, yet. So, what way of work
> publishing is prefered in this case? Add-on patch, separate branch in
> git or something else?

Sounds great! Thank you.

The repo is available here:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=users/jdavis/postgres.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/rangetypes

I'd prefer to include it in the initial patch. If the current GiST code
is going to be replaced, then there's not much sense reviewing/testing
it.

You may need to consider unbounded and empty ranges specially. I made an
attempt to do so in the current GiST code, and you might want to take a
look at that first. I'm not particularly attached to my approach, but we
should do something reasonable with unbounded and empty ranges.

Regards,
Jeff Davis