Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-23 15:46:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2011-09-20 at 16:38 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> For now, I think we're best off not changing the terminology, and
> confining the remit of this patch to (a) turning all of the existing
> recovery.conf parameters into GUCs and (b) replacing recovery.conf
> with a sentinel file a sentinel file (name TBB) to indicate that the
> server is to start in recovery mode. The naming isn't great but the
> more we change at once the less chance of reaching agreement. It
> seems like we have pretty broad agreement on the basics here, so let's
> start with that.

The only thing that's slightly bogus about that is that if you were
doing an archive recovery, you'd have to edit the main postgresql.conf
with one-shot parameters for that particular recovery (and then delete
them again, or leave them in place, confusing the next guy). But
perhaps that's worth the overall simplification.