Re: strangeness in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mathieu Arnold <mat(at)mat(dot)cc>
Cc: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strangeness in pg_dump
Date: 2002-06-03 23:48:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Mathieu Arnold <mat(at)mat(dot)cc> writes:
>> For that matter, what version(s) are you running?

> both have multibyte support, both encoding LATIN9 (france, euro)
> 7.2 on the linux, 7.2.1 on the freebsd

In that case I think the difference is explained by this 7.2.1 patch:

* doc/src/sgml/ref/copy.sgml, src/backend/commands/copy.c: Modify
COPY TO to emit carriage returns and newlines as backslash escapes
(backslash-r, backslash-n) for protection against
newline-conversion munging. In future we will also tweak COPY
FROM, but this part of the change should be backwards-compatible.
Per pghackers discussion. Also, update COPY reference page to
describe the backslash conversions more completely and accurately.