Re: Fwd: Keywords in pg_hba.conf should be field-specific

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Keywords in pg_hba.conf should be field-specific
Date: 2011-06-21 14:15:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Pavel Stehule's message of mar jun 21 10:04:26 -0400 2011:
> 2011/6/21 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>:
> > Excerpts from Pavel Stehule's message of mar jun 21 00:59:44 -0400 2011:
> >
> >> yes - it has a sense. Quoting changes sense from keyword to literal.
> >> But then I see a significant inconsistency - every know keywords
> >> should be only tokens.
> >>
> >>         else if (strcmp(token, "pamservice") == 0)
> >> -             {
> >> -                 REQUIRE_AUTH_OPTION(uaPAM, "pamservice", "pam");
> >> -                 parsedline->pamservice = pstrdup(c);
> >> -             }
> >>
> >> because >>pamservice<< - is known keyword, but 'pamservice' is some
> >> literal without any mean. You should to use a makro token_is_keyword
> >> more often.
> >
> > Yeah, I wondered about this too (same with auth types, i.e. do we accept
> > quoted "hostssl" and so on or should that by rejected?).  I opted for
> > leaving it alone, but maybe this needs to be fixed.  (Now that I think
> > about it, what we should do first is verify whether it works with quotes
> > in the unpatched code).

I tested it and it works: This line

"local" @dbs +b "trust"

is accepted and it works in the unpatched code. I don't think we want
to break people's existing pg_hba.conf files for no reason. I doubt
that many people are using pg_hba.conf tokens with quotes, mind you, but
there might be some ...

In any case, if people here thinks we should tighten this, it's easy to
do on top of this patch by changing the strcmp() calls to
token_is_keyword, as you say. Let's not burden this patch with the
responsibility of doing so, because that's likely to get it punted.