Re: Range Types and extensions

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Range Types and extensions
Date: 2011-06-21 08:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The other viable alternative seems to be to require those two properties
> (btree opclass and collation) to be part of a specific range type
> definition. The complaint about that seemed to be that we couldn't
> infer an ANYRANGE type given only ANYELEMENT, but could we alleviate
> that by identifying one range type as the default for the base type,
> and then using that one in cases where we have no ANYRANGE input?

Yes, that sounds similar to Florian's suggestion, and I think there may
be a solution down this path. However, if we're going to have range
types with non-default orderings, then we need a way to construct them.

I suggested that, if constructors are the primary problem case, then
just generate non-polymorphic constructors at range type definition
time, named after the range type name. I'll look into that approach.

Regards,
Jeff Davis