Re: .gitignore for some of cygwin files

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .gitignore for some of cygwin files
Date: 2011-06-09 16:55:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of jue jun 09 09:42:02 -0400 2011:
> =?UTF-8?Q?Rados=C5=82aw_Smogura?= <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu> writes:
> > On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:12:59 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >> What's "nbproject"?
>
> > Just configuration from some editor. It looks like any move in project
> > creates this entry in .gitignore
>
> If you've got random third-party tools that clutter the source tree, you
> should use a personal .gitignore file to ignore them. We already
> established the principle that emacs backup files have to be ignored on
> a personal level, and I don't see why we'd do it differently for Windows
> tools.

I agree with that, though the *dll.def files are ours and probably
deserve a global .gitignore entry.

As for executables, I think the local .gitignore files in each subdir
should be tweaked so that they catch the .exe extension, so
src/backend/.gitignore which currently includes /postgres should also
have /postgres.exe, and so on.