Re: Range Types and extensions

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types and extensions
Date: 2011-06-07 17:20:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > right. hm -- can you have multiple range type definitions for a
> > particular type?
>
> In principle, sure, if the type has multiple useful sort orderings.

Right. Additionally, you might want to use different "canonical"
functions for the same subtype.

> I don't immediately see any core types for which we'd bother.

Agreed.

> BTW, Jeff, have you worked out the implications of collations for
> textual range types?

Well, "it seems to work" is about as far as I've gotten.

As far as the implications, I'll need to do a little more research and
thinking. But I don't immediately see anything too worrisome.

Regards,
Jeff Davis