Re: BUG #10140: Configured for 127.0.0.1 but binds to all IP

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sofiamay(at)mail(dot)ru
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #10140: Configured for 127.0.0.1 but binds to all IP
Date: 2014-04-25 19:09:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

sofiamay(at)mail(dot)ru writes:
> All versions 9.x.x Postgresql have a BUG. Its configured for 127.0.0.1 but
> binds to all IP (0.0.0.0)!

What's your evidence for this statement?

> but in reality:
> postgres.exe TCP 0.0.0.0 5432 and
> postgres.exe TCP :: 5432

I don't know what tool you're using here, but I wonder if you aren't
misinterpreting its output. For comparison's sake, when using Linux's
"netstat -l -n", I see this when PG's listen_addresses is '*':

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5432 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

while when listen_addresses is 'localhost' the line is:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

The all-zeroes foreign address does *not* mean that the socket is
accessible from everywhere, it just reflects an absence of data
for that column. The local address column is what's important
for a listening socket --- at least with netstat.