Re: Per-column collation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per-column collation
Date: 2010-11-22 20:12:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2010-11-22 at 11:58 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> * COLLATE information must be explicitly passed by caller in the patch,
> but we might forgot the handover when we write new codes. Is it possible
> to pass it automatically, say using a global variable? If we could do so,
> existing extensions might work with collation without rewritten.

I don't see how that is supposed to work. I understand the concern, but
the system is fairly robust against this becoming a problem.

> * Did you check the regression test on Windows? We probably cannot use
> en_US.utf8 on Windows. Also, some output of the test includes non-ASCII
> characters. How will we test COLLATE feature on non-UTF8 databases?

I attempted to discuss this here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-11/msg00464.php

For a lack of a solution, the approach now is to run the regression test
file manually, and we provide separate test files for as many platforms
and encodings or whatever we want to support.