Re: improved parallel make support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improved parallel make support
Date: 2010-11-06 11:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2010-11-03 at 16:34 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tis, 2010-11-02 at 10:21 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Do we have a handle on how many buildfarm members this will break?
>
> I suppose we don't. One way to find out would be to commit just this
> bit
>
> +# We need the $(eval) function, which is available in GNU make 3.80.
> +# That also happens to be the version where the .VARIABLES variable
> +# was introduced, so this is a simple check.
> +ifndef .VARIABLES
> +$(error GNU make 3.80 or newer is required)
> +endif
>
> with a $(warning) instead, and let it run for a bit.

So far, two machines have reported an older make version:

dawn_bat
narwhal

both of the mingw type. Andrew, Dave, could you see about upgrading the
GNU make installation there?

There are a few machines that haven't build in five days or more, but
based on their operating system version, it is fairly safe to assume
that they have an up-to-date version.