Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd\(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-11 22:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> BTW, does anyone have an opinion about changing the upper limit for
>> default_stats_target to, say, 10000? These tests suggest that you
>> wouldn't want such a value for a column used as a join key, but
>> I can see a possible argument for high values in text search and
>> similar applications.

> I don't like the existing arbitrary limit which it sounds like people are
> really bumping into. But that curve looks like it might be getting awfully
> steep. I wonder just how long 10,000 would take?

Presumably, right about 100X longer than 1000 ... if we don't do
anything about limiting the number of values eqjoinsel looks at.

I think though that the case for doing so is pretty good. "MCVs" that
are beyond the K'th entry can't possibly have frequencies greater than
1/K, and in most cases it'll be a lot less. So the incremental
contribution to the accuracy of the join selectivity estimate drops off
pretty quickly, I should think. And it's not like we're ignoring the
existence of those values entirely --- we'd just be treating them as if
they are part of the undifferentiated collection of non-MCV values.

It might be best to stop when the frequency drops below some threshold,
rather than taking a fixed number of entries.