Re: Per-column collation, work in progress

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per-column collation, work in progress
Date: 2010-09-24 05:57:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2010-09-24 at 09:32 +0900, Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> >> We could support it also on MSVC.
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a7cwbx4t(v=VS.90).aspx -- _strcoll_l
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/45119yx3(v=VS.90).aspx -- _towupper_l
> >
> > Great.
>
> If we support both glibc and msvc, how to we handle CREATE TABLE DDLs
> in pg_dump? Since collation names depend on platforms, a backup dumped
> at UNIX cannot be reloaded to Windows. We might need to normalize
> locale names to generate a portable dump.

It is not necessary that the SQL collation names are the same as the OS
locale names. That is just a convenient way to initialize it. If you
need to transport dumps, you can create your own SQL collation entry at
the target that locally fits what you are trying to do (or perhaps
rename the collation at the source).

I don't think there is a universally applicable way to "normalize"
locale names, because we want to support user-defined OS locales.