Re: build times

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: build times
Date: 2011-10-02 21:25:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have been investigating some build performance issues, and trying to
> narrow down causes of slowness, and observed an odd effect, which was
> suggested by a huge time difference between building from git and
> building from a tarball.

> If I do
> make -C src/port all
> and then wait 10 seconds or so and do
> make -j 3
> or even just plain
> make

> the build finishes much much faster (like 1m vs 5m) than if I had not
> run the first command.

Can't reproduce that here. What I do notice on a Fedora 14 machine is
that ccache seems to be enabled by default, ie you get caching even when
you just say "gcc", and that makes a huge difference in build times.
I see 70 seconds after "rm -rf ~/.ccache", versus 4 seconds with it
fully populated. Building src/port first saves nothing in either
starting state.

I wonder whether your experiments got affected by something similar.