Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checkpoint cost, looks like it is WAL/CRC
Date: 2005-07-08 13:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is there also a potential showstopper in the redo machinery? We work on
> the assumption that the post-checkpoint block is available in WAL as a
> before image. Redo for all actions merely replay the write action again
> onto the block. If we must reapply the write action onto the block, the
> redo machinery must check to see whether the write action has already
> been successfully applied before it decides to redo. I'm not sure that
> the current code does that.

The redo machinery relies on the page LSN to tell whether the update has
occurred. In the presence of torn pages, that's of course unreliable.

> Having raised that objection, ISTM that checking for torn pages can be
> accomplished reasonably well using a few rules...

I have zero confidence in this; the fact that you can think of
(incomplete, inaccurate) heuristics for heap-page operations doesn't
mean you can make it work for indexes.