Re: sgml and "empty" closing tags

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sgml and "empty" closing tags
Date: 2009-11-17 06:43:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2009-11-16 at 20:30 -0700, Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> While looking over the writable cte patch I noticed queries.sgml has
> lots of things in the form "<literal>FROM</>". I tried various
> googles to see if </> is some kind of sgml/xml shorthand for close the
> last opened tag. But alas, nothing found. Bad google foo?

If you have DocBook installed locally, you should have a file called
docbook.dcl, which contains the "SGML declaration" of DocBook, and
somewhere down contains this:

FEATURES

MINIMIZE
DATATAG NO
OMITTAG NO
RANK NO
SHORTTAG YES

So if you google for something like "markup minimization shorttag", you
can find more information.

For amusement, contrast this with the SGML declaration of HTML:

FEATURES
MINIMIZE
DATATAG NO
OMITTAG YES <-- This is why you can omit <body>, for example.
RANK NO
SHORTTAG YES