Re: Listen / Notify rewrite

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date: 2009-11-15 18:32:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 22:25 +0100, Joachim Wieland wrote:

> 3. Every distinct notification is delivered.

> Regarding performance, the slru-queue is not fsync-ed to disk

These two statements seem to be in opposition. How do you know a
notification will be delivered if the queue is non-recoverable? Surely
the idea is to send information externally to the database, so why
should that stream of info be altered depending upon whether the
database crashes? You couldn't use it to reliably update an external
cache for example.

Why do we need this as well as PgQ? For me, I would need a good reason
why this shouldn't be implemented using a normal table, plus bells and
whistles. If normal tables don't do what you need, perhaps that's a
place to add value.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com