Re: Privileges and inheritance

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Privileges and inheritance
Date: 2009-10-05 08:22:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 09:45 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> We could use a GUC variable to ease the transition, perhaps like
> sql_inheritance = no | yes_without_privileges | yes

The original way of doing things was quite useful if you wanted some
people to be able to see history and others just see recent data. I
don't think many people are aware of or take advantage of that, so your
proposal does simplify things for many people.

Would it not be better to offer this as a table-level option, with
default of check-permission-on-parent-only?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com