Re: WIP: generalized index constraints

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: generalized index constraints
Date: 2009-09-15 16:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 23:21 +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> How about also including the name of the constraint (or index) that
> was violated? I could imagine this error message being frustrating
> for someone who had a table with multiple index constraints, as they
> wouldn't know which one had raised the conflict.

Yes, that makes sense. As Joshua Tolley mentions, I'll also include the
tuples that caused the conflict.

> Also, the DETAIL part should be written as a full sentence with
> leading capital and full stop [1], see

Oh, I haven't seen that document before. Thanks.

> postgres=# alter table circles add constraint circles_overlap (c <->)
> using index circle_idx;
> ERROR: no strategy found for operator 1520 in operator family 2595
>
> The error message is pretty unfriendly, but I'm ambivalent about
> whether it's worth doing anything about this particular case.

I think I could make that error a little better by providing a detail
message explaining what the operator should be able to do.

> One of the comments I made in my original review [2] was that "\d" in
> psql should show the constraint. I don't think you've addressed this
> in the current version.

I have psql on my list along with pg_dump, but unfortunately I haven't
done either yet. I don't think it will take too much work, so I'll fix
this as soon as I can.

Regards,
Jeff Davis