Re: WIP: Deferrable unique constraints

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)googlemail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Deferrable unique constraints
Date: 2009-07-14 19:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 13:29 -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> I am looking at adding unique support to hash indexes for 8.5 and
> they will definitely need to visit the heap.

Have you seen this patch?

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1246840119.19547.126.camel@jdavis

This patch will support unique constraints for hash indexes as well.
There may still be a use-case for specialized hash index unique
constraints, similar to btree, but please follow the work to make sure
that no work is wasted.

Also, I don't see a problem with using the same hacks in the hash index
code as is used in the btree index code. If you see a better way, or if
you think index AM changes would be useful to you as well, you should
probably open that discussion.

I was trying to provide an alternative to an index AM API change,
because I thought there might be some resistance to that. However, if
there are multiple index AMs that can make use of it, there is a
stronger case for an API change.

Regards,
Jeff Davis