Re: Hot Standby (v9d)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby (v9d)
Date: 2009-01-28 20:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 21:41 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> So, you can think of the unobserved xids array as an extension of
> ProcArray. The entries are like light-weight PGPROC entries. In fact I
> proposed earlier to simply create dummy PGPROC entries instead.

Which we don't do because we don't know whether we are dealing with
top-level xids or subtransactions of already observed top-level xids.

Either way we have to rearrange things when we move from unobserved to
observed. A major difference is that what we have now works and what we
might have instead may not, which is being illustrated by recent
testing.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com