Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sync Rep: First Thoughts on Code
Date: 2008-12-13 19:45:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 21:35 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> We still could call Sync Rep as a feature "synchronous replication" on
> basis that "WAL Streaming - Synchronous Write" is the highest security
> level achievable using the feature.
>
> And maybe have Sync Hot Standby as a feature on top of that which
> provides "WAL Streaming - Synchronous Apply"

Or maybe better call it Serializable Hot Standby, as the actual
guarantee that can be achieved is that when one client does something on
master and after committing on master starts another transaction on
slave, then the effects of query on master are visible on slave.

Hannu Krosing http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
Services, Consulting and Training