Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-03 21:41:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 16:37 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I can see an argument about constraint_exclusion but
> > default_statistics_target I don't.
>
> Why not? I don't want to accept a big increase in ANALYZE times (or
> planning times, though I'm really not seeing that at this point)
> without some benefit.

If you are concerned about the analyze time between 10, 50 and 150, I
would suggest that you are concerned about the wrong things. Remember
that this "simple postgresql.conf wizard" is for those who don't know,
don't want to know and will likely never know how to answer, "How do I
configure this parameter?"

> > It also seems unlikely that you would hit 256MB of checkpoint segments
> > on a 100MB database before checkpoint_timeout and if you did, you
> > certainly did need them.
>
> So why do we have this parameter at all?

Excellent question, for a different thread :)

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/