Re: Synchronous replication patch v1

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication patch v1
Date: 2008-11-05 10:07:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 22:59 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi, thank you for taking time to review the patch.
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> > Fujii Masao wrote:
> >>
> >> Attached is a patch for a synchronous log-shipping replication which
> >> was discussed just a month ago. I would like you to review this patch
> >> in Nov commit fest.
> >
> > Here's some first quick comments:
> >
> > AFAICS, there's no security, at all. Anyone that can log in, can become a
> > WAL sender, and receive all WAL for the whole cluster.
>
> One simple solution is to define the database only for replication. In
> this solution,
> we can handle the authentication for replication like the usual database access.
> That is, pg_hba.conf, the cooperation with a database role, etc are
> supported also
> in replication. So, a user can set up the authentication rules easily.
> ISTM that there
> is no advantage which separates authentication for replication from the existing
> mechanism.

It be easier to use libpq directly?. That would make it easier because
whatever connection method you have configured will work for replication
also.

We already have a protocol message for streaming data: COPY.

If you implemented the send as a new command, similar to COPY, it would
all work very easily. SENDFILE?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com