Re: Loading the entire DB into RAM

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Charles A(dot) Landemaine" <landemaine(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Loading the entire DB into RAM
Date: 2006-04-07 15:25:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Charles A. Landemaine" <landemaine(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> What I'd like to do is find out how to keep the whole DB in RAM so
> that each time some one does a query, it doesn't use the HDD. Is it
> possible, if so, how?

That should happen essentially for free, if the kernel doesn't have any
better use for the memory --- anything read from disk once will stay in
kernel disk cache. Perhaps you need to take a closer look at your
kernel VM parameters. Or maybe you don't have enough RAM yet for both
the DB contents and the processes you need to run.