Re: 7.4 JDBC driver with 8.1 server?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 JDBC driver with 8.1 server?
Date: 2006-02-17 19:55:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> I also might consider using an 8.2dev driver that has been adjusted to
> set the stringtype[2] parameter to unspecified. This would reduce the
> impact of the 8.0 changes while still providing new features.

This sounds like a pretty good idea to me, but I doubt Red Hat will go
for shipping a devel-snapshot driver ;-). What I could possibly sell
them on is an 8.1 release driver plus a patch just to enable the
stringtype=unspecified behavior. Do you have an idea how large such a
patch would be, and how painful to prepare it?