Re: MVCC, undo log, and HOT

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MVCC, undo log, and HOT
Date: 2007-10-23 10:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:00 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:

> > > We were considering it?
> >
> > I don't ever remember us considering it seriously.
> >

> > > I certainly wasn't. I've enough experience with Oracle and InnoDB to
> > > see that an undo log is its own set of performane issues. No thanks.
> > >

> > It certainly does.
>
> We never actually considred undo

I did, but eventually ruled it out during the HOT design process. But
then I considered a ton of other things and ruled them out also.

Can't see a reason to bring it up again, so perhaps we should add it to
the definitely don't want list. Don't *need* would be better.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com