Re: Problem dropping table

From: Ken Logan <ken(at)i2rd(dot)com>
To: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem dropping table
Date: 2007-09-18 19:42:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 11:10 -0700, Alan Hodgson wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 10:30, Ken Logan <ken(at)i2rd(dot)com> wrote:
> > When we try to drop the table we get the error:
> > ERROR: "member_pkey" is an index
>
> You have to remove the table from it's Slony set before you can drop it.
> Slony does some hackish things to subscriber tables that make them
> unusable for normal DDL operations.
>
> Your master probably isn't too thrilled, either, since it probably
> thinks the table is still in a set.

We actually used slonik_drop_table so its been properly removed from
slony.

> In any case, you'd probably have better luck with this on the Slony
> list. I'm not at all sure your problem can be fixed without discarding
> the slave, but someone there might know.

I was afraid of that... since there doesn't seem to be any remnants left
behind by slony affecting this table I'm not sure I can ask a sensible
question about it on the slony list, so I guess I'll need to either dig
into the source for what the postgresql error message means or reinit
the slave (again).