Re: Performance monitoring

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance monitoring
Date: 2007-05-13 04:41:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sat, 2007-12-05 at 14:26 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Either way, we are taking the hit, it is just a matter of where. IMO it
> would be better to have the information in the database where it makes
> sense, than pushing out to a log

If performance monitoring information is provided as a database object,
what would the right interface be? IMHO the problem with cleanly
presenting monitoring information within a normal database system is
that this sort of data is fundamentally dynamic and continuous: to
determine how the performance of the system changes over time, you need
to repeatedly rescan the table/view/SRF and recompute your analysis
essentially from scratch. Trying to get even simple information like
"queries per second" from pg_stat_activity is an example of how this can
be painful.

<plug>
BTW, if the system included the concept of a continuous data *stream* as
a kind of database object, this problem would be much more tractable :)
In fact, there is some code in a version of TelegraphCQ that exposes
various information about the runtime state of the system as a set of
system-defined data streams -- like any other stream, users could then
use those streams in arbitrary queries.
</plug>

-Neil