Re: [OT] Best OS for Postgres 8.2

From: Adam Tauno Williams <adamtaunowilliams(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Date: 2007-05-08 12:25:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I'm really not a senior member around here and while all this licensing
> stuff and underlying fs between OSs is very interesting can we please
> think twice before continuing it.

Agree, there are other lists for this stuff; and back to what one of
the original posters said: it doesn't matter much.

[Also not a regular poster, but I always gain something from reading
this list.]

Most people who really go into OS selection / FS selection are looking
for a cheap/silver bullet for performance. No such thing exists. The
difference made by any modern OS/FS is almost immaterial. You need to
do the slow slogging work of site/application specific optimization and
tuning; that is where you will find significant performance
improvements.

-
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org