Re: indices and cidr/inet type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: indices and cidr/inet type
Date: 2003-08-05 19:09:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Welty <rwelty(at)averillpark(dot)net> writes:
> what type of index is recommended when the dominant lookup on a field is
> '<networkaddress>' << ipblock

I don't think we have a suitable index type at the moment; or more
accurately, we don't have a suitable operator class. It would be an
interesting exercise to write an inet opclass for either rtree or GiST.
I'm not sure which one would be more suitable, but probably you could
handle << with one or the other.