Re: Postgresql.conf

From: "Jeremy Haile" <jhaile(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, "Brandon Aiken" <BAiken(at)winemantech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql.conf
Date: 2007-01-23 19:15:23
Lists: pgsql-general

But there are ways that we could optimize count(*) queries for specific
circumstances right? Obviously this isn't trivial, but I think it would
be nice if we could maintain a number of rows count that could be used
when performing a count(*) on the whole table (no where clause).

I don't know if the overhead of keeping track of that number is worth
the benefits - but I know that querying for the number of rows in a
table is a common need and other RDBMSs do optimize for that special
case.