Re: too many trigger records found for relation "item" -

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: "Lenorovitz, Joel" <Joel(dot)Lenorovitz(at)usap(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: too many trigger records found for relation "item" -
Date: 2007-01-23 09:41:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 20:56, Lenorovitz, Joel wrote:
[snip]
> ERROR: too many trigger records found for relation "item"

I've got this error on a development data base where we were
continuously creating new child tables referencing the same parent
table. The responsible code is in src/backend/commands/trigger.c, and I
think it only happens if you manage to create/drop a new trigger (which
also could be a FK trigger created by a new foreign key referencing that
table, as in our case) exactly between that code gets the count of the
triggers and processes them. In any case it should be a transient error,
i.e. it should only happen when you heavily create/drop triggers... our
integration test case was actually heavily creating new child tables, so
that's how it happened for us.

In a production scenario I won't be creating all the time new triggers
in parallel with other heavy activities, so it doesn't bother me.

Cheers,
Csaba.