Re: Migration

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Daniel Corbe <daniel(dot)junkmail(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migration
Date: 2006-09-15 16:46:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 12:33 -0400, Daniel Corbe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard from a bunch of PHP guys that Postgres is total crap. Can
> anyone recommend a guide for migrating to MySQL?

Someone's been reading that Rasmus interview.

OK, I don't have a complete guide, but I think the steps go something
like this:

1: Turn off critical thought processes and stop thinking for yourself.
2: Denormalize all your data ahead of time.
3: Stop looking at tweakers.net benchmarks.
4: Install MySQL 3.23.xx. After all, you won't need any fancy
features. MyISAM for ALL!
5: Run your server on RAID0 on IDE drives with untested memory and CPU
6: Backup by copying the files out from under the live running MySQL
server.
7: Don't test your restores.
8: Buy all your hardware based on the numbers on the packaging. Pay no
attention to those people who actually test hardware. They've obviously
been bought off.
9: Say goodbye to data coherency...