Re: pg_terminate_backend

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_terminate_backend
Date: 2006-08-03 16:36:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Stuck?" You have not shown us a case where SIGTERM rather than SIGINT
> is necessary or appropriate. It seems to me the above is assuming the
> existence of unknown backend bugs, exactly the same thing you think
> I shouldn't be assuming ...

I do know a case where a plain kill will seem to be stucked: on vacuum
of a big table. I guess when it starts an index's cleanup scan it will
insist to finish it before stopping. I'm not sure if that's the cause,
but I have seen delays of 30 minutes for killing a vacuum... it's true
that finally it always did die... but it's also true that I have 'kill
-9'-ed it before because I thought it's stucked.

Cheers,
Csaba.