Re: conversion_create.sql (Related to BUG#1072)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gunasekaran Balakrishnan <guna(at)motorola(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: conversion_create.sql (Related to BUG#1072)
Date: 2004-03-25 15:37:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Gunasekaran Balakrishnan <guna(at)motorola(dot)com> writes:
> creating conversions... ERROR: could not access file
> "$libdir/ascii_and_mic": No such file or directory

What does "pg_config --pkglibdir" report? Is ascii_and_mic.so actually
present in that directory? If so, I would guess that the "no such file"
failure actually means that the dynamic loader couldn't locate some
other shared library that ascii_and_mic.so depends on. Use ldd or local
equivalent to inspect ascii_and_mic.so's library dependencies. You
might need to fool with ldconfig settings or some such.

On the other hand, if "pg_config --pkglibdir" doesn't point to where
ascii_and_mic.so is installed, then you messed up something in the
Postgres configure or build process. I think I've heard of people
getting into this sort of problem by reconfiguring partway through the
build. The best bet if you want to reconfigure is to "gmake distclean"
and start the build over.

> If I edit conversion_create.sql to change all references of $libdir to
> "/usr/local/pgsql.7.4.2"
> then it works well.

This is certainly not the correct fix.