Long term database archival

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: thm(at)duke(dot)edu
Subject: Long term database archival
Date: 2006-07-06 18:57:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

What is the best pg_dump format for long-term database
archival? That is, what format is most likely to
be able to be restored into a future PostgreSQL
cluster.

Mostly, we're interested in dumps done with
--data-only, and have preferred the
default (-F c) format. But this form is somewhat more
opaque than a plain text SQL dump, which is bound
to be supported forever "out of the box".
Should we want to restore a 20 year old backup
nobody's going to want to be messing around with
decoding a "custom" format dump if it does not
just load all by itself.

Is the answer different if we're dumping the
schema as well as the data?

Thanks.

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein