Form builder?

From: webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Form builder?
Date: 2006-06-22 01:07:33
Lists: pgsql-general

I don't want to revisit or be redundant... but is there a quick and
dirty and cross-platform system for developing user input forms for
Postgres? Ideally, I am interested in something such that you can give
it ("it" being something like a Python function) a table name,
resulting in a magically appearing input form. It should be able to
deal with getting the format more or less correct for a datatype, not
displaying system columns, etc, using the system tables to get the
necessary info.

I thought first about hacking xdialog, but they don't have multiple
field forms. I have looked at wx, but real gui programing is complex
and not general. Right now I have an ugly hack that writes out a text
file with colon separated lines for each row, with a defaults option so
that you can chain together a set of One-Many forms (eg you enter a
person, then you can cycle through with library books each referencing
that person in a for loop).

I would rather trade ease of use for functionality, if it can get it
90% correct just by the table name and the defaults. And I refuse to
use XML. And I want pure Linux. If I have to develop the darn thing,
of course I am happy to share.

I want to develop an anthropological fieldwork database, but the form
based data entry is important for ease of use.

Cheers.