Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)laterooms(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Date: 2006-04-10 09:26:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

> It's plausible though that we are seeing contention across members of
> the LWLock array, with the semop storm just being a higher-level symptom
> of the real hardware-level problem. You might try increasing
> LWLOCK_PADDED_SIZE to 64 or even 128, see
> src/backend/storage/lmgr/lwlock.c (this is something that does exist in
> 8.1, so it'd be easy to try).

pSeries cache lines are 128 bytes wide, so I'd go straight to 128.

If you're renting all 8 CPUs, I'd drop to 4 and try that instead. With 8
CPUs the contention will vary according to what each CPU is doing at any
one time - when they all hit the contention spot, things will get worse.

The pSeries has good CPUs and great caching, so I'd expect contention to
be somewhat more apparent as a bottleneck.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs