Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Mead <scott(at)scottrmead(dot)com>
Cc: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Survey on backing up unlogged tables: help us with PostgreSQL development!
Date: 2010-11-17 01:15:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Mead <scott(at)scottrmead(dot)com> writes:
> +1 -- Is there a technical reason to do a TRUNCATE on restart? I'd feel
> better if I could just have unlogged tables that survive unless something
> like a power-outage etc... I'm in the exact same boat here, lots of big
> logging tables that need to survive reboot, but are frustrating when it
> comes to WAL generation.

Keep in mind that these tables are *not* going to survive any type of
backend crash. Maybe my perceptions are colored because I deal with
Postgres bugs all the time, but I think of backend crashes as pretty
common, certainly much more common than an OS-level crash. I'm afraid
you may be expecting unlogged tables to be significantly more robust
than they really will be.