Re: pg_stat_bgwriter broken?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_bgwriter broken?
Date: 2010-11-14 21:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Worksforme. You probably need a full recompile and/or initdb

> Yeah, sorry about the noise. This went away after some more intensive
> rebuilding. I think I still want to add some regression testing of this
> view as suggested. If that had been there, I'd have been a lot more
> confident it was my mistake, and not something that just slipped through
> without being tested.

[ shrug... ] That's one of the simplest views in the entire system.
It's very hard to conceive of a bug that would affect it and not other
views, *especially* such a bug that would be exposed by a test that
doesn't actually exercise the functionality, such as you're suggesting
here.

If the cause was what I suggested, most likely the other stats views
were broken too --- were you able to pass the regression tests in that
state?