Re: Release, 3rd draft

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Release, 3rd draft
Date: 2005-10-04 18:46:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
> If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
> code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?

I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
isn't any arguing that.

Just because it is more popular doesn't make it better and if we try to
compete on their metrics we are going to loose.

We have to compete on our metrics...

PostgreSQL is the most advanced Open Source Database with enterprise
features that serious database developers demand, such as two-phase
commit, point in time recovery and tablespaces. Other popular (have to
have this caveat because of Ingres) Open Source Databases don't even
come close.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake