Re: Update on tables when the row doesn't change

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tim Vadnais <tvadnais(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on tables when the row doesn't change
Date: 2005-05-25 16:08:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:41, Tim Vadnais wrote:

> >> Why does Postgres perform an update on the table even
> >> if no data changes?
> >> Can I circumvent this behaviour of Postgres?
> >>
> Hi All,
>
> Can someone please address this aspect of Sebastian's email? I, too, am
> interested in the response.

Actually, I believe it was addressed by Tom, when he said that it would
be more costly to check every single update to see if there WAS a change
before applying it than to just apply the changes every time.

I concur. Can you imagine slowing down ALL updates by 5% or something
like that just to prevent the rare case where an update didn't actually
change a value?