Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2
Date: 2004-12-12 08:37:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 06:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org> writes:
> > I never vacuum during the test. Is it possible that all the updates
> > and inserts would affect this?
>
> That's bad; first because it possibly *is* hurting performance, and
> second because if it isn't, your results could legitimately be attacked
> as not representing the long-term-sustainable performance of Postgres.
> VACUUM is real, unavoidable overhead and so we have to account for it
> honestly.

Agreed.

There does seem to be a downward performance trend over the course of
the one-hour tests, fairly consistently across the tests I've seen. This
is from about ~4200 tpm peak to ~4000 tpm peak an hour later.

I suppose that could be the reason for some of the extended transaction
times - though I reported a clear peak in the txn freq/response time
graph (with delays of ~7s). If txn times were lengthening because of
vacuum, I wouldn't expect to see a peak, just a long tail on the
distribution (which we do see...)

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs