Re: Minor TODO list changes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Darren King <DarrenK(at)Routescape(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minor TODO list changes
Date: 2004-11-04 18:50:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 18:15, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > At some point it would also be nice to be able to mark tables as
> > read-only and then any indexes created on that table after that would
> > have a fillfactor of 100%. Then I'd be able to load the table, alter it
> > to be read-only, then add the appropriate indexes that are automatically
> > compacted.
>
> If it's read-only, you might as well remove a number of the internal
> fields used for visibility as well.

Yes, should be able to save 16 bytes/row for an INSERT only table that
would still allow multiple simultaneous COPY jobs against it, with no
more than 1 statement per transaction. I'd like to create an additional
tuple layout using the tuple version bits, so you'd be able to set a
flag at CREATE TABLE time to use that as an optional alternative from
the standard one. UPDATEs and DELETEs would be permanently disallowed
against such tables, just as if privileges had not been granted.
TRUNCATE would still work, however.

Call it something like NOMODIFY? You could then alter VACUUM to skip
such tables, so you'd be able to do a VACUUM database without scanning
all of the largest tables in your system.

Darren's first idea would then be interpreted as automatically setting
FILLFACTOR=100 on indexes of NOMODIFY tables.

Darren's second idea was dynamic: i.e. an ALTER TABLE READONLY after
be done before loading, probably at CREATE TABLE time.

Darren's second idea of READONLY tables is related, but not necessarily
the same as the NOMODIFY concept that Rod brings up.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs