Re: Minor TODO list changes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minor TODO list changes
Date: 2004-11-04 17:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:51, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, I updated all your items.

Thanks

> I removed fillfactor because I thought I
> was the only one who thought it was valuable and as I remember it was
> mostly useful for ISAM, which we don't support. Can you think of a use
> for a non-100% fillfactor?

I was under the impression the factor was 67% for data loaded on the
leading-edge of an index, and 50% for other INSERTs.
(backend/access/nbtree/nbtinsert.c)

Not sure, without checking, what CREATE INDEX and COPY do, but I'm
guessing it is similar?

Other RDBMS use a higher leading-edge/standard fill factor.

There are situations where I'd want to set it at 90%, or even 100%. If I
know the update rate is likely to be zero, then I'd like my indexes to
fit in 10-30% less memory and disk, please.

Or am I missing something?

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs